Monday, March 06, 2023

A Bright Sadness

Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey


According to the traditional liturgical calendar, we are in the 2nd week of Lent. Many of us are still discovering more about this special time leading up to Easter. In my church background, I was unaware for years what this was all about. As I've learned more, it has become something that I usually practice in some way each year.

What is Lent really? The word originally came from
a word for 'spring' and is connected to the idea of 'lengthen' as a period of penitence.

Traditionally this practice began in the 2nd century originally lasting just a few days (only much later did it become a 40 day fasting time honoring Jesus' 40 days in the wilderness recorded in Matthew 4). So, for about six weeks (except Sundays which are not days to fast), Christians opted for just one vegetarian meal in the evenings for spiritual growth - preparing for the celebration of Easter and resurrection.

The Eastern Orthodox church speaks of Lent as "a bright sadness" which involves both a realignment with the Lord and a relinquishing of things that weigh us down.

A bright sadness...hmmm. 

What in our lives can be relinquished?

What in our lives needs realignment?

I appreciate these words from Joan Chittister, author of The Liturgical Year, "Lent requires me, as a Christian, to stop for a while, to reflect again on what is going on in me. I am challenged again to decide whether I,  myself, do truly believe that Jesus is the Christ - and if I believe, whether I will live accordingly when I can no longer hear the song of angels in my life and the star of Bethlehem has grown dim for me."

May this time leading up to Easter be rich for all of us - rich in contemplation and communion with Jesus - relinquishing what needs to be pruned away and realigning with the heart of God!

Psalm 62:5 (New Living Translation)
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him."

No comments: