Monday, June 26, 2006

Prayer

I just finished reading a book by Richard Foster called Prayer and I'm really wrestling over all the different types of prayers he covers in the book. He covered some things that I really wonder about - things like praying in tongues, becoming unconscious while praying, gifts of laughter while praying and even his call to healing prayer. I was struck by one of the statements he made about how many times people prayed in the Bible with a position of face-down, flat on the ground with hands out stretched. That doesn't seem very comfortable, but, it sure seems humble and unashamed. The book really opened my eyes to how little time I devote to really let God get a hold of me through prayer. I have so much room to grow in this area - God help me!

1 comment:

Bill Lewis said...

I read Foster's "Celebration of Discipline" and "Freedom of Simplicity" for a class earlier this year. I was pretty challenged by them. I imagine that I've got plenty of room for growth in the prayer area, too. The "church staff culture" certainly isn't one that automatically aids in your spiritual formation - if you know what I mean.

Bill