Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Musical Cheating...?

I just finished reading an article in Recording magazine which highlighted the new version of the popular vocal tuner called Auto-Tune (first made famous by Cher's "Believe" pop hit a few years back) and I was stunned at what it can do...it's CHEATING man! This new version can actually manipulate HOW the singer sang a particular part - changing the throat pattern, amount of air, mouth shape, etc. Now, if that wasn't enough, it also allows you to automatically build a choir with various singers and note ranges based on the lead vocal's style, etc. It can also do a famous studio trick of duplicating a performance on another track - as if the singer sang it several times to different tracks and then blends it to the lead track...wow...it's getting too easy people!

SIDE NOTE: I confess that I do use an earlier version of Auto-tune...

2 comments:

Bill Lewis said...

I was just thinking "Way cool - now I can sound just like Bon Scott!" That would really take our worship in a new direction...

Seriously, I think the auto-tune stuff is a great tool, but if you can't sing at all, then get off the stage.

gk said...

yeah, but can it make me look as hot as nick lachey?