Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Everyday Stuff; Indelible Memories

In the front room of my house I have an old upright piano weathered by time and barely in tune. It was made around 1903 and it takes up the entire back wall! Me and my family love it though because it has special meaning. You see, when I was a little boy, I remember my great, great grandmother playing songs on it when we visited her in Redmond, Oregon. So, when my mother told me that the family wanted us to have it, I was moved almost to tears. The piano may not be that valuable on the antiques market, but, it has a lot of sentimental value as a gift of love. Have you ever been given a gift by someone you love who has since died? Or maybe you might have something that belonged to someone that was close to you but is now far away from you. Those things are now very valuable to you regardless of how everyday they might seem to other people. One of the last things Jesus did before going to the cross to die for us was to give us a way to remember Him. Of all the things He could have done, He decided to give us something that was very everyday and simple. He chose common meal items: bread and wine. Then, He gave a blessing and told His followers to continue to remember Him through this very simple, everyday meal where the bread represents His broken body and the wine represents His blood poured out for everyone. So, the simple ‘meal’ of bread and wine (often grape juice in our case) becomes very valuable to us everytime we remember what Jesus did on that day at the cross.

No comments: