Thursday, May 25, 2006

My girl Emma

As I drove my daughter Emma-Anne to school this morning and watched her run off to class, I felt my chest get really heavy. I still remember holding her in my hands - she barely filled them back then. Now she's independent, almost as tall as me, and on the verge of double-digit age 10. She's becoming a young woman - even talking about youth group! I got my start in ministry with being a youth minister - she's almost that age...it's too much for me sometimes. I wonder what she's learned from her mom and I, what she'll remember from her childhood. I wonder who she'll first fall in love with and where she'll graduate from college. I wonder about her future and where she'll live and what she'll be doing. Will she ever know how much her mom and I love her? I've always done this silly little thing with her since she was little...I'd ask her "who's my favorite girl?" I'd then run through random girl names until I would whisper Emma...then she'd say yes! Little things like that will forever be etched in my memory. I find myself praying about her teenage time - Lord, help me have wisdom, love and patience for this next phase of Emma's life...and to enjoy every moment with her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, time flies when you have kids doesn't it? Grace, my daughter, is 1 now and I think that has gone by too fast. I can't imagine her being 10!
The thing about children is that if you teach them the right things they will remember!

Benjy said...

I want them to remember fun stuff as well as the moral stuff...like chocolate chip pancakes on our big-breakfast Saturdays and adventures out in the woods...what will they take with them as traditions in their own families one day - wow.