Thursday, May 11, 2006

East 91st Street Christian Church – VISION!

My wife and I recently returned from a weekend spent in Indianapolis, Indiana visiting a church which, in my estimation, has incredible vision for people who don’t know God. I was amazed at the 20-30 church planting leaders that flew in for this gathering all representing churches that were started in part by the support and love of this church in Indiana. Hearing stories about people finding faith through all these new churches reiterated to me and Jackie how important new churches are for people who are far from God. We had a great discussion with a couple from the UK who had surprisingly similar stories about the lack of interest in church – much like the Seattle or Northwest region. One of the elder members of the church drove us back to the airport on Monday morning and I shared with him how humbling it is to be used by God in church planting. He then spoke with pride about how each year, as the budget is presented, some church members protest the money spent on planting new churches. He, with passion, told Jackie and me how, as a church, they are not backing down from their commitment to see new churches planted. Wow – now, that is a church deeply committed to the kingdom of Jesus!

No comments: