Thursday, March 09, 2006

Language of Adoration

I've felt for some time that I'm uncomfortable with the language often used to describe the relationship between Christ and His followers. At times the language sounds romantic in the least and even erotic at the most extreme - each of which make me a bit uneasy. I read a devotion today from Charles Spurgeon and he talks about gazing upon the Savior's lips and calling them the most lovely and most sweet - this makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Now, Spurgeon quotes the Song of Solomon, so, the language there is very sensual, romantic and erotic, which is why I would never use those phrases as I speak of my walk with Christ. I know there are those who feel like the Song of Solomon is a metaphor for the church as the bride of Christ, but even that seems difficult for me to swallow. I personally think that the Song of Solomon is just that - a song picturing the bliss of marital love - nothing more. A song to speak of the captivation of love between to people - a beautiful picture. When I speak of my Savior, I think of strength, power, sacrifice, unconditional love, acceptance and devotion - I'm not thinking how, as Jars of Clay sang, "I want to fall in love with you" - that is the language of romantic love to me. Anway, I'm done now...

No comments: