Thursday, March 02, 2006

Selah Service for Ash Wednesday

So, my wife and I headed to John Knox Presbyterian Church in Seattle/Burien to take part in a service I had read about in Worship Leader magazine. The service, led by Jeff Johnson and Brian Moss, incorporated singing, reading Scripture, reciting prayers and even responsive recitation of a creed. Since my church background was a mix of Assembly of God and Church of Christ, it was new to me to go forward and receive the ash cross on my forehead - my wife, who grew up Catholic, was not all that moved. I did appreciate the repetitive nature of the songs - very easy to catch on and sing, and the time of silence (could have used more I think). It will be interesting to think about the service in terms of how I might be able to use some of what I experienced in Common Ground Church. Since we meet in a school, creating a sense of the sacred and such is difficult. Anway, I do recommend this type of service - especially for Evangelicals who don't have much interaction with more traditional forms of worship gatherings.

No comments: